An Easy Whole30 Recipe: Chicken Lime Fiesta Soup

Tuesday, September 08, 2015


This is one of my favorite recipes to make while on Whole30. We made it for the first time while doing Whole30 last October and have probably made it a dozen times since. We even took it along with us on our trip to the mountains and heated it on a camp stove. It's one of those meals that stands up on it's own and is super easy to make in a pinch.

I originally found this recipe on @whole30recipes's Instagram and was constantly scrolling back through their feed to find it each time I wanted to make it. So to save myself some time (and share it with you guys too!), I thought I would share the recipe here. Please note: I have made changes to this recipe to fit our tastes and my cooking style (or lack thereof), so to find the exact recipe you'll need to visit whole30recipes here. I typically use frozen chicken breasts and put them in my slow cooker in the morning before work, but if you prefer to use fresh chicken and cook it in a skillet, that's fine too.

Ingredients:
4 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts (chicken tenders work too)
2 jalapenos, seeded and diced
1 cup green onions, diced
32 oz. chicken broth
2 tomatoes, diced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
3 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp garlic, minced
1 tsp cumin, ground
1 tsp salt
2 avocados, diced

Cook chicken in slow cooker for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. When chicken is cooked thoroughly, remove from slow cooker and shred. Chop the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapenos. I usually save one or two of the jalapeno seeds to add to the soup. The more, the spicier the soup. Mince your garlic bulbs. In a large pot over medium high heat, pour in the chicken broth. Stir in all ingredients. Once soup starts to bubble, reduce to low heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Serve with diced avocados on top.

Enjoy! Let me know if you make it or have a similar recipe!

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. How do you cook your chicken in the slow cooker (what else do you put in)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, if I have chicken stock on hand I'll pour some of that into the bottom of the crockpot. If not, I'll just use water. Sometimes I'll season the chicken with random spices I have on hand, but most of the time I cook it plain. Hope this helps!

      Delete
  2. I'm planning on making this, do you know how many servings this provides?

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Follow on Facebook

Subscribe